The origins of Talking Point begin in 1987, when the business began providing mobile communications systems business to business.
An early mover into a retail shop in Sheffield followed in 1989. A flirtation with a number of phone shops across Yorkshire followed, a BT installation and Nokia repair centre, and as a BT Mobile (now O2) distributer. From 1995, the business settled into a strong period of growth and profitability when appointed as the fifth official Orange distributer of mobile communications, handsets and airtime to the dealer market. During this period, supporting and supplying over 300 independent dealers with Orange and O2 products and services, the business became a market leader and innovator.
In 1997, the business was an early adopter of the Internet offering its award winning eCommerce software (Mobile News Award Winner 1999), so dealers could view accounts and connection data, plus launching an online white label solution mobile phone 'etail shop for some of its 300 dealers and an in-house brand.
Until 2001, the business provided the end-to-end eCommerce solution for the Orange network web site, including the software, payment gateway, pre and post sales support, delivery and reverse logistics. The site was awarded ‘Best Mobile Operator eCommerce' site at the Geneva World Mobile Expo 2001. For several years, the business disposed of the 14 day money back returns via the web for Virgin Mobile.
By then, it had a turnover exceeding £ 15m GBP with over 40 staff, then the group re-organised into several different businesses, each for a different Internet project or activity. During this period, the business group provided or developed;
- The UKs first application of Microsoft Site Server (1997).
- The Securapay online payment central server platform (design adopted by Barclays ePDQ) and co-wrote Visa payment standards that went on to become the AIS and later ‘Verified by Visa’ standards (1998).
- Provided the eCommerce checkout software solution for One2One (now T Mobile) (1998)
- The first online ‘design and build’ new car configurator for imported cars (2000).
- The first online delivery of aggregated company credit data and reports (2001).
- The brand was famous and synonymous as a founder of the global Twinshock Motocross movement, the Talking Point National Twinshock Scrambles Championship (UK), as sponsor for ten seasons from 1993 to 2002. More info here.
For the next period Talking Point specialised in simple eCommerce and online revenues and then facilitating the connection of over 1.5 million mobile subscribers from 2005 to date.
Today the business is again focused on providing communications solutions to businesses and the dealer reseller community offering technology to improve communications and efficiency, particularly to benefit the environment, principally through the supply of airtime and related services.